6 Hacks to Thrive and Complete your Traineeship
Halfway or any part through or nearing the completion of your traineeship, you may find yourself facing unique challenges. Perhaps you’re struggling with the educational component while kicking goals in the workplace.
Don’t worry, you’re not alone.
Together with the help of our First Nations Social Media/Content Trainee – Eliza, we’ve adapted 6 hacks to help you overcome these obstacles and make the most of your traineeship.
By implementing these practical tips, you’ll regain momentum, overcome hurdles and emerge from your Traineeship with valuable skills, experiences and a nationally recognised qualification in your back pocket.
6 Hacks / Practical Tips
- Revisit and Refocus Your Goals: If you’re feeling overwhelmed or falling behind, take a step back and revisit your goals. Reflect on what you initially aimed to achieve and reassess the educational component that you find challenging. Modify your goals if necessary, ensuring they are realistic and attainable. By refocusing your objectives, you’ll regain clarity and motivation to push through the remaining hurdles.
“Consistently reach out to your field officer (and mentor if you have one) – they are there to support you” – Eliza
- Seek Targeted Support: Reach out for targeted support to address the educational challenges you’re facing. Consult with your supervisor, trainers, or mentors at AFL SportsReady to discuss your concerns and explore additional resources or strategies that can help you catch up. Don’t hesitate to seek extra tutoring or guidance to bridge any knowledge gaps. Remember, it’s better to ask for help than to struggle alone.
“If you are offered a career/personal development opportunity take it – as traineeships are more than just work and education” – Eliza
- Leverage Workplace Success: While you may face challenges in the educational aspect, acknowledge and celebrate your achievements in the workplace. Take pride in the valuable skills you’ve developed and the positive impact you’ve made. Use this workplace success as motivation to overcome educational obstacles. Remember, your achievements highlight your potential and demonstrate the practical value of your traineeship.
“Write a list of skills you want to gain/tasks you want to try before completing your traineeship” – Eliza
- Prioritise Continuous Learning: Even if you’re struggling with the educational component, don’t neglect continuous learning.
“Start your education early and keep on top of it” – Eliza
Take advantage of AFL SportsReady’s training programs, online resources, and industry events that offer insights and practical knowledge related to your field. Invest in your ongoing learning.
- Network and Collaborate: Build connections with colleagues, mentors, and industry professionals who can offer support and guidance. Collaborate with fellow trainees who may be experiencing similar challenges. Share resources, study together, and leverage collective knowledge to overcome educational obstacles.
“Get a LinkedIn account and make an effort to network in your workplace” – Eliza
Networking can also lead to potential career opportunities and provide a support system to lean on during challenging times.
- Maintain Resilience and Positivity: Maintain a resilient mindset and a positive outlook as you navigate through the remaining phase of your traineeship. Recognise that setbacks are a normal part of any learning journey. Embrace challenges as opportunities for growth and learning. Celebrate small wins along the way to stay motivated and build momentum.
“Never forget you are a trainee and you are supposed to be learning, so don’t be afraid to ask questions” – Eliza
Navigating a traineeship can be challenging, especially when facing personal struggles while thriving in the workplace.
However, by implementing these six hacks, you can regain your momentum, overcome obstacles and successfully complete your traineeship. Revisit and refocus your goals, seek targeted support, leverage workplace success as motivation, prioritise continuous learning, network and collaborate with others and maintain resilience and positivity.
Remember, traineeships are designed to provide valuable learning experiences, and the skills and knowledge you gain will set the foundation for a successful career. Embrace the challenges, persevere through setbacks, and emerge from your traineeship with newfound confidence and a wealth of practical skills.
You’ve got this!
Quotes from AFL SportsReady’s Social Media/ Content Trainee Eliza
Find out more about her journey:
With over 29 years of experience providing quality job opportunities and launching the careers of thousands of young Australians. AFL SportsReady offers diverse and thrilling opportunities that could take your career to the next level.
Whether you’re just starting out in your career or looking to take it in a new direction. AFL SportsReady has something to offer. With a commitment to quality training and support. You can be sure that you’ll have the tools you need to succeed.
Or follow us